No person offering himself for appointment as an officer shall be appointed as such officer :-
- Unless he is of good character.
- Unless he is a citizen of India or a subject of Nepal. Provided that the Central Government may, in any suitable case relax the provisions of this clause.
- Unless he satisfies the following requirements regarding his age
- In the case of an appointment to the Senior Division of the Corps,he has attained the age of 21 years and has not attained the age of 32 years.
- In the case of an appointment to the Junior Division of the Corps,he has attained the age of 21 years and has not attained the age of 32 years.
- Unless he satisfies such standard of physical fitness in height, chest measurement and other respects as may be specified by the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- Unless he is a permanent member of the teaching staff of a college with a minimum of 3 years service as a regular lecturer or he is a regular member of the teaching staff of a school with 3 years service. Provided that in the case of such members of the teaching staff who have served in the National Cadet Corps as Under Officers or have obtained ‘B’ or ‘C’ Certificates, the said condition of 3 years service may be relaxed by the Director General National Cadet Corps and they may be appointed even earlier.
- If he has at any time been convicted of an offence involving moral turpitude and a sentence other than that of fine or of imprisonment in default of payment of fine has been passed in respect of such offences, such sentence not having been subsequently reversed or remitted or the offence pardoned.
- If he has been dismissed from the University Corps of the Indian Territorial Force or the National Cadet Corps or the Territorial Army or the Indian Armed Forces.
- If he is a member of any organization of the nature, specified in paragraph 1 of Schedule III, Provided that:-
- In case of an officer discharged from the University Corps of the Indian Territorial Force, the Ministry of Defence, Government of India, may relax the age limit prescribed by clause (b).
- A person who is ineligible under clause (e) shall be eligible for appointment if he produces a certificate from the State Government that he is a fit person to be appointed.
- The Ministry of Defence, Government of India, may authorize the appointment of any person who is not qualified for appointment
under the rule.